We recently returned from a 2 week trip to Italy for our honeymoon and I have been asked “how did you pack for that many days in a carry on?” The key is packing as light as possible; knowing we would be traveling to different parts of Italy by train every 3-4 days, I knew I didn’t want to be lugging a huge suitcase all over the country.
Here are some tips:
- Research your destination. What will the weather be like? Are there any cultural sensitivities or clothing not acceptable in certain places? (ex: churches, temples, museums).
- Consider your activities. We did a lot of walking, excursions and beach time on our trip. I opted to leave my heels behind (hello cobblestone streets) and bring a pair of black flats that helped dress up an outfit instead.
- Plan out your outfits. It’s totally worth the effort and helps prevent overpacking. Pick versatile pieces you can mix and match and add accessories for different looks.
- Pare down your makeup and toiletries. Leave behind the bulky hairdryer, as most hotels and AirBnB’s provide you with one. If you must bring one, travel sized is best.
- Tightly roll everything. Rolling takes up less space than laying clothing flat, and minimizes wrinkling.
- Leave some space. Leave some extra room in your suitcase for a few travel treasures to bring home.
Without further ado, here is what I took on our 2 week long vacation to Italy, packed only in my carry on.