The story begins when I decided it was time to do something about my closet. I accumulated a ridiculous amount of clothing over the years and was bad at letting things go. In the past I’ve taken clothes to a consignment store, but on a whim decided to try out Poshmark… and am so glad I did.
It’s a marketplace where you can sell gently-used items from your closet and buy items from other ladies’ closets. You can use Poshmark through the iOS and Android apps or computer browser. The Poshmark app is so easy to use! To sell, you simply take photos of the items you want to sell directly through the app. Then, you fill in the information, like brand, size, price, and a description. It seriously only takes minutes to put up a listing.
Potential buyers can use the “Buy Now” option and snatch something up on the spot. Or, they can make you an offer, which you can choose to accept or submit a counter offer. Once you negotiate a price you both like, you’ve got yourself a sale! Once you sell something, Poshmark emails you a pre-paid USPS Priority Mail shipping label that you print out and attach to your box or mailer. Then, you simply ship your item!
Once the customer receives their item, they must “accept” it through the app, which releases your earnings. Poshmark takes a 20% commission on every sale over $15 and $2.95 on sales under $15.
You can have your earnings direct deposited into your bank account, or you can request a check through the mail. Or, you can use your earnings to shop on Poshmark.
How Much I’ve Made on Poshmark
I’ll go ahead and disclose that I have sold 24 listings totaling $458, which makes me a Top 10% Seller! Check out my closet HERE. Some of the listings were “bundles,” which means multiple items were included in the sale. That’s an average of $19 per listing sold, which I’m confident is more than I would have made taking the same items to the consignment store. Some women make THOUSANDS on there, especially if they’re selling luxury items.
My Top 5 Poshmark Selling Tips
- List a lot: The more items you have in your closet, the more visible it will be.
- Have realistic prices: At the end of the day, I’m selling my USED clothes. No one is going to pay $15 for a used Forever21 top, because they could go get a new one for that price. HOWEVER, I do usually list a little higher than the price I think is fair so there’s room for negotiation.
- Use nice photos & thorough descriptions: I take photos on my iPhone directly through the Poshmark App. I try to take photos during the day when there’s natural light in my house. In the descriptions I am as descriptive as possible. I share measurements when I think it would be helpful. If there is any damage to a piece, I disclose that. If something runs small or large, I also disclose that.
- Encourage bundles: A bundle is where a buyer chooses more than one item from your closet to purchase at once. It’s great for the buyer because they only have to pay shipping once (Posh’s standard shipping is $5.95). It’s great for you because you get to clear multiple things out of your closet at once. In your Poshmark settings you can create an auto-discount for people who purchase multiple items. For example, I give customers 10% off automatically if they purchase two or more items.
- Participate in shipping specials & sales: Pretty frequently, Poshmark does deals where if you drop the price of an item at least 10%, anyone who likes that item will get discounted shipping (sometimes as low as $.99).
Have fun and happy selling!