Chicago has been experiencing some unseasonably warm weather for this time of year. It has been glorious! Until yesterday that is, when we got our first day of what felt like full blown winter. What better way to warm up than with a savory bowl of soup? This butternut squash soup will not disappoint!
- In a large stockpot, melt the butter on low heat
- Add the onions, garlic, apple and squash and cook on low heat, covered, stirring occasionally until translucent but not brown, 30 minutes to an hour
- Add the chicken stock and spices; cook two hours, until contents are soft
- Add the cream cheese and milk
- With an immersion blender, mix soup until smooth and creamy
- Season with salt and pepper